Guild of Awesome, Inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Guild of Awesome, Inc.

We're basically the popular kids

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brainstorm Session

Go down 
+2
Kiryuku
TheBigun
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KingKindred

Brainstorm Session - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brainstorm Session   Brainstorm Session - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Woo I am finally able to post. I read everything and wow it's a lot. I really like the direction that we're heading in.

TwisterZaraku wrote:

"YOU'VE HEARD OF WITCH TRIALS.. BUT NO ONE PUTS A WEREWOLF ON TRIAL! WOLF TRIALS!"

Is this a Friends From College reference?

I like the idea of them basically being supernatural government workers/agents. And if they do get paid I agree with it being in either gold or some form of supernatural currency. Like how in Harry Potter they have their own shops and things. Speaking of. That's the kind of vibe I was getting when the topic came up about keeping them a secret from humans and making sure it stayed that way. It reminded me of how in the American side it was forbidden to mingle with humans/no-majes(?)/muggles and reveal to them the magic world.
Back to top Go down
TheBigun

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorm Session   Brainstorm Session - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 10:06 am

KingKindred wrote:
I like the idea of them basically being supernatural government workers/agents. And if they do get paid I agree with it being in either gold or some form of supernatural currency. Like how in Harry Potter they have their own shops and things. Speaking of. That's the kind of vibe I was getting when the topic came up about keeping them a secret from humans and making sure it stayed that way. It reminded me of how in the American side it was forbidden to mingle with humans/no-majes(?)/muggles and reveal to them the magic world.

Personally, I could easily see that being a thing. In fact, to go a step further, I could see mingling and, more specifically, having children with humans as a punishable offence by our organization. Likely not one that would get you killed on it's own, but imprisoned or stripped of the child or some probation like thing where if you stepped out of line again, it's an instant death sentence. Would have to decide their stance on the child itself, not sure I could see any kind of murder of children going over well with most people who work for the organization, who knows though, so maybe if they were removed from their parents, they're put into some juvenile system and strictly raised to abide the laws which govern our society, maybe forcefully inducted into the service of the organization or sort of indoctrinated through teaching to think it's their best option.

Mess of brain matter there, take what you will.
Back to top Go down
TwisterZaraku
Admin
TwisterZaraku

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorm Session   Brainstorm Session - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Bump, cuz I really want this in this RP:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://guild-of-awesome.board-directory.net
TheBigun

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorm Session   Brainstorm Session - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 5:36 pm

TwisterZaraku wrote:
Bump, cuz I really want this in this RP:

Spoiler:

I mean, we're already fictitious enough to have a fake hidden history. I don't really see why we couldn't be in an alternate history where the world got stuck in a Victorian-style era while still expanding technologically.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Back to top Go down
TheBigun

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorm Session   Brainstorm Session - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 28, 2017 12:49 pm

TwisterZaraku wrote:
I picture us being "protectors" of something ancient or forgotten, and as such, we had access to a world that wasn't/isn't visible to everyone else, yet it still occupies the space they live in. (I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Spirited Away, but that comes to mind) Because of this, they're bound by honor/ethics/morals to provide a service and stop people from getting caught up in a game much larger than them.

So you're talking alternate, adjacent plane of existence? Like Frodo putting on the ring still sees the real world, but also sees things other people can't while wearing it? I still agree with the last part, being protectors of the common people and keeping them from getting lost or caught up, like you said.

TwisterZaraku wrote:
From there, I pictured there were some kind of "overlords" that produced different creatures for various reasons. If I needed to describe them, I'd picture there being 5 godlike beings that used to get along until one day, one of them decided the others were being dicks and created Guardians or what have you. Because we'd still come from one of these overlords, we'd have powers similar to the other creatures, but unique. I think if we divvied all the creatures up into "banners", then each overlord could specialize in some kind of power. But, I'm branching and I'll go back to the original core.

I'd like something more substantial to build my opinion on it, but I don't see anything wrong with this idea versus the other bits/in conjunction with the other stuff presented thus far.

TwisterZaraku wrote:
So I guess where I get snagged is I may view this as a story that could have been real, as in it could have happened alongside actual history. It's so "in the shadows" that the objective would be not to tip off regular humanity as much as possible. I'd like to think humans outnumber the creatures, you know? So panic is no good.

Yeah this is exactly the rough idea I was following originally, which lead to a consideration of some kind of pact in the supernatural world which created our group to help retain that secrecy, etc. Whatever we end up going with, I totally support the idea that what we do should involve separating/hiding the general supernatural populace from the general human populace.

TwisterZaraku wrote:
I also picture us as being human, but I think @Dylan Fisher would rather us be more like the creatures, if that's what I gathered correctly? I'm fine with whatever, I'm just disconnected a bit.

I'll admit that I'm far more entertained by the idea of us being part of the supernatural races, for reasons I'm happy to go into if you want. You bringing up Hellboy is what spurred that thought onward for me as much as it did. Hellboy (half-demon), Abe (Ichthyo Sapien), Liz (Pyrokinetic), etc are all an actual part or species that is a part of the world they protect the humans from.

But really, I'm fine with us being humans and/or fleshing out the idea of being god-chosen protectors with special abilities and such. I just honestly thought you knew exactly where I was coming from after mentioned Hellboy, because that's one of the best examples I can even come up with for what I was looking for.

TwisterZaraku wrote:
Also, as far as the tech goes, it wasn't supposed to be a staple to everything. Moreso a defining feature in the world that could support a more alternate approach as opposed to traditional, in that things are powered by electricity as opposed to steam. I don't really imagine werewolves all running around as crazed bio-mech things (though a werewolf with a machine gun is a pretty badass thought), but I also didn't think it'd be too big a stretch to have basic tech ideas, like sound recorders and mini-grenades. I'm totally cool with forgoing the tech idea; I just wanted to clarify I imagined it being supplemental, not integral.

I had initially passed over the idea because I thought you were joking, but when you brought it up again, I was totally behind it being something we all put into consideration. Personally my confusion on the subject stemmed from two points. One was that, like you even said above and I agreed with, I thought our original idea was that we were going with:

TwisterZaraku wrote:
a story that could have been real, as in it could have happened alongside actual history.

That's taken slightly out of context, but the idea of alt-history here, at least to me, stands sort of opposite to that idea. That being said, I'm not at all opposed to our story being in alt-earth with the general human populace unaware of us or what we do to protect them, I was just confused is all.

In fact, that leads to the other point I started getting confused.

Kiryuku wrote:
If it helps you imagine it within the universe, maybe the technology is limited to the humans that want to join the order? Instead of the "blessed by the gods" thing. The magic use can be kept to the witches/warlocks, and the rest of the normie humans have the ingenuity and lack the innate weaknesses that supernaturals possess, which allows them to develop specialized tech to put themselves on par.

This post from Kiryuku in the Facebook thread had me confused on whether our order/organization/whatever was out in the open or not. I could be reading it wrong, but my understanding of the suggestion was that humans are aware of the order, can freely join if they so choose, etc.

So I guess, to clear up these questions we need a couple of answers/sub-answers from people.

1.) Do we want to be of the supernatural world protecting humans (i.e. anything goes; werewolves, vampires, warlocks, etc) or specifically enhanced humans protecting humans?

a.) If we are specifically enhanced humans, are we enhanced by the tech (ex. gaslight batman) or by magic (blessed by gods, overlords, etc)?

2.) Are the humans we protect aware or unaware of our existence and/or the existence of the supernatural world as a whole?

a.) Is the supernatural world merely defined as "races, practices, and things the humans are generally aware of" or is it an entirely different yet adjacent plane (as I think Twist is suggesting, but could use clarification on)?

That's what I got so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorm Session   Brainstorm Session - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Brainstorm Session
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guild of Awesome, Inc. :: Brainstorming :: Thought Tank-
Jump to: